Traditional Chinese painting is also known as ink wash painting and is created using a brush dipped in ink and water, compounds, and painted on rice paper (Xuan paper). This course is for students with minimum experience, allowing them to learn basic techniques including how to handle the Chinese painting brush with ink and colour, to execute brush strokes professionally as well as to develop skills to draw different subjects.
During each class, our experienced teacher will instruct each student based on their levels and interests. By the end of each class, students can expect to complete at least one Chinese painting of flower, bird, landscape or other subject that fascinates them.
1. Introduction of the fundamentals of Chinese painting, its basic style, technique, and tools. Simple painting – Plants. With Plant samples to be copied by students in class.
2. Simple painting – Plants. With Plant samples to be copied by students in class.
3. Simple painting – Animals. With animal samples to be copied by students in class.
4. Chinese landscape painting. With sample to be copied by students in class.
5. Chinese landscape painting, with sample to be copied by students in class.
6. Chinese flower painting, with sample to be copied by students in class.
7. Chinese flower painting, with sample to be copied by students in class.
8. Final session:
- Chinese painting-Combination,with a selected sample to be copied by students in classdepending on personal basis.
- Successful complete all sessionsof above, and could accomplish final session with minor guidance shall be given a certificate, which allows students to entera higher level class (The higher level class student shall learn paintings based on their own choice)
Saturdays, 5 August – 23 September
ONE trial class only for each person registered.
If you have registered for a trial class, please let us know at the reception before entering the classroom. If you would like to proceed with the course after the trial, you will be required to pay for the total number of classes you wish to attend including the trial class.
Fees: $230* for 8 lessons including $30 material (ink, pigment, brushes and xuan paper). All payment will be made at reception upon enrollment.
Teacher: Mr. Chi Lik CHEUNG(Franz)
Click here to register
Brief profile of the teacher
Franz Chi Lik Cheung is a Chinese artist from Hong Kong. He acquired Master of Studio Art in Sydney College of Art, USYD. Currently he is a teacher of Chinese Calligraphy & Painting, and also a lecturer of Chinese Art History in Macquarie University.
He occasionally teaches Chinese art in AGNSW. He also conducts workshops, short courses in numerous festival, events and celebration all through Sydney in different communities like libraries, schools, art societies and art centers.
He is currently the vice president of the Australian Oriental Calligraphy Society. His calligraphy appears in an Australian landscape photo album known as< Tranquil waters> which he co-authored with Ian Carlson and was published in 2005. He also featured in a short film titled <4 Immeasurable> produced by film maker Keith Johnson in 2009. He had 4 solo exhibitions in Sydney since 2007 and joined numerous group calligraphy exhibitions both in Australia and different countries overseas.
1.All classes need a minimum number of students to go ahead. If your chosen course does not have sufficient enrollment, it may be postponed to next term or canceled. Should this happen, we will inform you as soon as possible.
2.For legal reasons, we reserve the right to vary courses due to unforeseen circumstances.
3.Fees are non-refundable unless one is proved to be unfit by a doctor’s certificate.