- 这是一部“动作电影”，更是一部呈现动作内在欲望的“身体电影”，通过“师父”，徐浩峰已然开创了一个电影的神秘门派。（导演 娄烨评）
- 《师父》中的角色不是粗糙武人，而是绅士武者，是精致的传统绅士阶层，是传统社会的代言人，徐浩峰不具备香港武打片中日渐重复的缠斗模式，而是代以传统绅士的有理有节，输赢风范。（导演 张黎评）
- 《师父》中的武林故事，并非人们印象中的家国大爱、快意恩仇的热血江湖，而是宛如一曲悲歌。该片的故事充满了悲情色彩，当徒弟因师父而死，师父却并未醒悟，依旧为了自己的大业知难而行，最终却落得仓皇而逃的结局。徐浩峰对人物塑造和故事构造都突出了写实，他写的是现实武人，并非臆想出来的武侠，着力点在他们的真实生存状态和近代武馆的揭秘。所谓的宗师也不过是凡人的角色，和以往武打片中那些快活驰骋的大侠们大相径庭，也使得这个故事别有一番滋味。 （《天津日报》评）
During the republic of china, master Chen Shi arrived in Tinajin to fulfill his mission of bringing Wing Chun up north to promote martial arts. The newly arrived Master ran into his future wife by fate in a western restaurant, it was love at first sight and they got married through a matchmaker since then. As to make a living by establish a martial art school in Tianjin, master Chen Shi accepted a young local fellow Gent Liangchen as his apprentice, the apprentice had to defeat all the other martial art school on behalf of the grand master, and the two of them got into an unexpected revolution. The Master’s ultimate goal was to spread the spirit and essence of Martial art around the country, the apprentice was just a way to achieve his goal, however he was inadvertently tied to his fate. The apprentice was decisive, bold and brave, he always hold onto his mission in all those important moments. It turns out that although they still had their original intentions, but have becoming more bonded to each other.
Director: Xu Haofeng
Xu Haofeng was born in Beijing in 1973, a mainland Chinese director, screenwriter and martial arts novelist who graduated from Beijing film Academy majored in directing. He created a documentary novel named “The Passing martial Art” in 2006, this book was based on the experiences of more than 70 years of practical martial arts to tell the reader stories about martial arts. In 2007, he wrote a martial art novel named” Taoist going down the mountain” and became a movie by director Chen Kaige in 2015. In 2008, he created another novel named “Guo Shu Guan”. The very first personal movie directed by Xu Haofeng was named “The trail of the Japanese Pirate” in 2011, therefore started his journey of a director, the movie was nominated for the 48th Taiwan Film Golden Horse for best new director. In 2013, he won the Best Screenplay Award at the 33rd Hongkong Film Awards for the action movie “The Great Master”. In 2015, his self written and directed martial arts movie “Master” was nominated for the 52nd Taiwan film Golden Horse Awards for Best Adapted Screenplay. In 2017, the martial arts movie named “Hidden with the Blade” won the Best Art Contribution Awards at the 41st Montreal International Film Festival.
- This is an “action movie”, but more of a “body movie” by showing the inner desire through series of actions, through movie the “Master”, Xu Haofeng has established a mysterious school of film. ( Comment by Lou Ye)
- The actor’s role in “Master” was not simple tough warrior, but a gentleman like warrior, is the exquisite class of traditional gentleman, the spoken person in the traditional society, Xu Haofeng does not possess the repeating fighting pattern that usually used in HongKong martial arts films, but replacing it with gentlemen like wining or losing style, reasonable and modest.
- The story of martial arts in “Master” was not like any heroic or big love sacrifice for the country, but its more like a sad tragedy song. The film fulfilled with colors of sadness, when the apprentice died because of his own master, but the master didn’t realize the impact of it, and kept going in his own way , that eventually ended up in a hasty escape. Xu Haofeng emphasized the realism in both the characterization and the structure of the story. He wrote about real practitioner of martial arts, not imaginary warrior, focus on their true living condition and revealing modern martial art school. The so-called master is just a mortal character, which is very different from the happy galloping heroes in other martial arts movies, which has also made this story unique. (Comment by “Tianjin Daily”)